How often do you need to be at a few different places simultaneously in order to complete your to-do list? To meet different people? Cope with several tasks immediately? Are you a perfectionist and believe that nobody can do better your work than you?
If your answers are Yes, you might have a problem 🙂
It’s unworkable to do all things yourself and it is impossible to create another clone of you.
The obvious solution is a Task Delegation. Nevertheless, let’s elaborate it a bit.
In the theory and practice of management, the “golden” rule of management is very clear: the most important ability of a manager is to obtain results through his employees. The art of management, as well as work collaboration, is to achieve business results via team effort, rather than doing work yourself. Whether a leader wants it to or not, whether they like it or not, whether they know how to do it or not, a leader is have to delegate.
Delegation helps the leader rationalize the working time, the ability to direct own talent and time to more important problems that require the greater involvement and greater expenditure of his/her time. This makes it possible not to waste the time of the manager to study each existing problem, having only a general idea about it. In the question of the extent to which it is expedient to delegate a task, the head should always think about using the delegation to improve the qualification of his employees, giving them responsibility for a certain area of work.
In a nutshell, based on above, being a head/manager of the company you shouldn’t lose the great opportunity of delegating essential tasks to your employees using productively individual performance of each member of your team.
Apart from everything else, benefits of task delegation are following:
- Work collaboration will clear time for you to solve more pressing and challenging things.
- Implementation the art of delegation in practice will help you and your colleagues to reach goals together and finally become a good team.
- After you get delegation correctly, you’ll learn that your workers are not there only to carry the load, they will certainly surprise you with original ways of solving tasks. It means that you will give them an opportunity to prove themselves and feel useful in working on a project and their unique skill set.
- The development of subordinates through task and authority delegation leads to the fact that everyone who engaged in the task execution, develop his personality.
Task delegation in terms of duration can:
- either be carried out for a long term (long or general delegation): the head instructs the employee to perform the task independently;
- or limited to one-time assignments (one-time delegation): the task itself remains in the functional sphere of the head.
How to delegate right?
Like any other method, delegation functions only when it is practiced professionally. Simply explaining the details of the work to the employee without providing him with a general plan and not giving him full responsibility for what he does has nothing to do with a delegation.
Correct delegation means the following:
- to transfer the assignment (the employee is given a clearly delineated circle of work, which refers to the functional field of the manager);
- transfer competence (the transfer of business, financial and personal competence, which is simply necessary for independent work on the assigned task, also applies to proper delegation);
- transfer responsibility (the third step of successful delegation is to transfer responsibility for the task to the employee). However, the employee should be ready to share with the leader both the success and failure of the work performed.
From my perspective, a head/manager has to keep in mind the following five points while delegated task execution control:
- Adherence to deadline
- Data reliability
- Clear visualization
The basic principle of task delegation, in this case, can be formulated as follows: Delegate as much as possible, do yourself as much as necessary, in order to keep all the threads of management working process in your hands.
Let’s get started!